KARIMAH’S SIGNATURE DUKKAH RECIPE
Dukkah is another one of those Middle Eastern spice mixes that is packed with health benefits and jazzes up to make eating more vegetarian and vegan meals a pleasure as packing a punch with health benefits.
It’s like zattar, which is nuts/seeds with thyme, oregano sometimes mint and salt, this time its more Arab Asian than Mediterranean on flavours.
You can sprinkle it on humus or your boiled poached or fried eggs. You can also marinate your meat or fish with it.
You can combine it with olive oil and drizzle in over salad.
The world is yours when you have sesame seeds
Seriously you can use whatever nuts of seeds you have , i would go easy with apricot seeds as they have a really strong flavour but as they are high in vitamin B-17 high which combats cancer.
1. 235g (1 cup in total) nuts and or seeds; almonds, walnuts, almonds, cashews , sunflower seeds
2. 80g (1/2 cup) Sesame Seeds.
3. 3 tablespoons coriander seeds.
4. 3 tablespoons cumin seeds
5. 1-3 tablespoons of black cumin seeds
6. 1 . tablespoons fennel seeds (optional)
7. 1 tea spoon dry powdered turmeric (optional)
8. 1-3 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper.
9. 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
1. Its really nice to roast your nuts or seeds and this can be done by dry frying them. Dry fry your nuts or seeds or combination of both, in a dry frying pan. It will help if you have a splatter guard or splatter screen to stop the seeds jumping out of the pan.
2. On a medium heat as the nuts/seeds and stir gently , one hand holding the spatula and one holding the splatter guard. Keep the nuts/seed moving as you want them to roast but not burn the skin otherwise the dukkha will taste too burnt.
3. As they change colour to a deeper brown take them off the heat and place on a plate to cool
4. Add the dry herbs/spices to the same hot pan; fennel, coriander, cumin, black pepper, black cumin seeds and repeat the same process as you did with the nuts/seed.
5. You then need to mix the nuts/seeds and spice herbs tighter, add the sea salt and voila that is dukkah
6. It needs to be ground together which you can do by hand in mortar and pestle or in a blender but not for too, long as you want to keep some of the texture
7. You can keep in an air tight jar for a few weeks once it has cooled down.
Nuts are basically good for your heart, they are protein and as such produce heat and are a hot energy food, they contain Unsaturated fats,Omega-3 fatty acids, Fiber, Vitamin E,Plant sterols, L-arginine. The sesame seeds are a rich source of calcium and magnesium, which is good for the bones and brain.
• Cumin is one of the most common spices use to combat indigestion. Its high in iron. it may help with diabetes. and improve blood cholesterol. it is possible that may promote weight loss and fat reduction. and it may help with drug dependence.
• Corriander can benefit the body when its use in the treatment of skin inflammation, high cholesterol levels, diarrhoea, mouth ulcers, anaemia, indigestion, menstrual disorders, smallpox, conjunctivitis, skin disorders, and blood sugar disorders, while also benefiting eye care.
The warm energy spices are full of antioxidants and have anti inflammatory properties.