As salam alaikum, good morning bunnies and lions,today we are going to take a closer look at olive oil. I love olive oil; i use for 99% of cooking and on my body especially when its cold weather. I use it as a carrier oil for aromatherapy essential oils.
“Oils are best medicine” is a phrase I read many years ago in prophetic medicine books and I still can’t find the hadith.
Those of you who know me well that I was anti coconut oil from the get go and dispute it being cool hip and trendy I stuck to my guns with olive oil. Now the cats out of the bag and the whistle were blown, step aside coconut and get back in the bathroom where you belong.
The fact that Allah as mentioned olive oil in the Quran is sufficient for me and the prophet Muhammad salah lahu alaihi wa salem has mentioned it many times, including its use to massage the body.
In terms of aromatherapy olive oil is classified as carrier oil. Like all carrier oils it is not just there to dilute the essential oil but it has its own unique healing properties by the grace of Allah.
It is superior to coconut oil in every way except it has a lower smoking point which is minor detail compare to the immense benefits that outweigh that, especially if you use it cold as most Mediterranean and Middle Eastern people do.
Its health benefits are as follows
- Olive Oil Is Rich in Healthy Monounsaturated Fats.
73% of olive oil is oleic fatty acid. Oleic acid combats inflammation and possibly has beneficial effects on the cancer genes
- Olive Oil Contains Large Amounts of Antioxidants.
Olive oil is great for the skin and internal organs; it contains modest amounts of vitamin E and k and is packed with antioxidants
- Olive Oil Has Strong Anti-Inflammatory Properties
Oleocanthal is the anti oxidant in olive oil that produces anti-inflammatory effects.
Inflammation can be a killer. it is the driver for diseases; arthritis, cancer, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and even obesity, bearing in mind most obese people don’t get big by eating loads of fruits and veg, but acid forming foods that can also cause inflammation.
- Olive Oil May Help Prevent Strokes. There have been various scientific tests into the relationship between olive oil and strokes and cardiovascular disease, a stroke is when blood cannot get to the brain, there is a blood clot in the brain or a disturbance of blood flow to the brain. There have been various studies on the relationship between olive oil and strokes and heart disease proving that olive oil can combat strokes and heart disease. The following information on the studies about olive and stroke is taken from this web site.
- Olive oil consumption and risk of CHD and/or stroke: a meta-analysis of case-control, cohort and intervention studies.
Increasing evidence suggests that the Mediterranean diet can reduce the risk of CVD. Olive oil is the hallmark of this dietary pattern. We conducted a meta-analysis of case-control, prospective cohort studies and a randomised controlled trial investigating the specific association between olive oil consumption and the risk of CHD (101,460 participants) or stroke (38,673 participants). The results of all observational studies were adjusted for total energy intake. The random-effects model assessing CHD as an outcome showed a relative risk (RR) of 0.73 (95% CI 0.44, 1.21) in case-control studies and 0.96 (95% CI 0.78, 1.18) in cohort studies for a 25 g increase in olive oil consumption. In cohort studies, the random-effects model assessing stroke showed a RR of 0.74 (95% CI 0.60, 0.92). The random-effects model combining all cardiovascular events (CHD and stroke) showed a RR of 0.82 (95% CI 0.70, 0.96). Evidence of heterogeneity was apparent for CHD, but not for stroke. Both the Egger test (P= 0.06) and the funnel plot suggested small-study effects. Available studies support an inverse association of olive oil consumption with stroke (and with stroke and CHD combined), but no significant association with CHD. This finding is in agreement with the recent successful results of the PREDIMED randomised controlled trial.
- Olive Oil Is Protective Against Heart Disease. Because oil combats inflammation this is one of the reasons why is good for the heart. it also helps lowers high blood pressure,
Site from where some reference were taken