As salaam alaikum honeys and bunnies, in shaa Allah you are all bright eyed and bushy tailed . It’s been about 7 years since my award winning book “Heavenly Bites, The Best Of Muslim Home Cooking “ came out. It is available internationally from Kube Publishing and has loads of great soup, smoothie and salad recipes that don’t need tweaking.
Since creating the book , I have trained and qualified as Clinical Nutritionist and through my all star companions and own health issue come to realize that commercially produced wheat can be the cause of too many health issues.
So I have learnt to find alternative grains and adapt my recipes, alhmdulilah.
The following recipe is from my book with a few healthy twists and a bit of Karimah magic for good measure…
Wheat Free Lemon Polenta Cake
Cake is the first thing I learnt to make with my Mauritian grandma, she even gave me three large solid silver forks to mix with, we didn’t use a whisk back then, just elbow grease. This is one of my favourite cakes as it doesn’t have too much wheat flour, its light and fluffy with a hint of lemon is fresh on your palate.
Ingredients for cake
50g/6 oz polenta
175g/2 oz coconut flour
1 tps baking powder
5tbs plant based yoghurt we used almond
5 tbsp sunflower oil
Zest finely grated of 2 unwaxed lemons, make sure you read the label
2 x lemons, all juice
3 whole eggs, yolks and eggs
3 egg whites only
30g/1oz castor sugar or honey
1 large pinch of saffron strands
Additional 1 whole lemon and 1 tablespoon of honey for drizzling
Serve with Yogurt and berries(optional)
You will need a couple of measuring jugs or bowls,1.2 litre or 2 pint cake tin or ring, a whisk and lemon juicer ideally
1. Pre heated over to gas mark 4/180 degrees C
2. Scrub the lemons and set aside to dry before using a small grater to remove the lemon zest.
3. Sift polenta, coconut flour, saffron, baking powder into a bowl and gently blend.
4. Put yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice and oil into a separate jug and stir together.
5. Then add sugar to yoghurt mixture is still creamy.
6. Separate eggs and egg whites into two different containers( a large cone for egg whites) and beat egg whites till they are stiff and white and you can hold the egg whites over your head up-side-down and they don’t move.
7. Back to the dry ingredients, to them add the sugar yogurt mixture and gently combine together
8. Finally pour yolks into the large container of the beaten egg whites ,use a flat spoon, spatula or the like there of, as you don’t want to lose the fluffiness of the whites.
9. Add the add egg mixture to the bowl with the rest of the blended cake ingredients, but fold into gently, we use a long metal spatula, you are folding in not mixing or blending .
10. Grease the muffin cake tin with a little oil on piece of kitchen tissue or baking brush OR use paper cake cases.
11. Add cake batter using a small ladle or tablespoon is easiest.
12. Bake for 30 minutes .
13. Test cakes by inserting a clean knife which should come out of the cake clean when the cake is cooked enough.
14. Take out cakes and leave to cool outside oven, friend of mine left it in the oven to cool even though she turned it off and the cake carried on cooking and burnt.
15.mix honey and lemon juice together and spoon over cakes while they are hot
16. Alternatively serve with yogurt or crème fraiche and seasonal berries
17.Give thanks to The Creator Alhamdulilah and enjoy, it is a luxury
Lemon is mentioned in the Sunnah(examples and saying of the Prophet Muhammad, salah la alaihi wa salem) and Medicine of the Prophet , in relation to sugar cane-(qasab al sukkar)
The Prophet salah alaihi wa salem said ” The believer who recites the Quran is likened to the utrujj; its taste is good, its scent is good” Sahih Bukhari at’ima 30
The Book of Medicine states that the juice of lemon, orange or plum pomegranate repels the harmful effects of the sugar cane.
Lemon is also part of the citrus family-(utrujj) .All citrus fruits; lemon, orange, limes, grapefruits, tangerines, clematines etc consists of four part; peel, pulp, flesh and seeds. Each one of these pieces has its own temperament.