As salaam alaikum, sabah al khayr, good morning.
Alhmdulilah we’ve had a beautiful sunny September in the UK making up for the not so great summer, alhmdulilah.
Now , today , the first shiver me timbers, cold morning….that means time for porridge.
Porridge is a heated mush of grains and water or milk , something liquid to re hydrate the grains.
Did you know that grains are mentioned by name, by Allah in the Qu’ran?
The Arabic word habb means grains of the seeds of any plant. Grains are such a diverse group that they have many benefits. Popular seeds are rice, barley, corn, wheat, chia, quinoa, and amaranth etc. Grains are mentioned at least 6 times in the Quran more than individual fruits, milk and olive oil.
They are a food staple that provide energy, fibre and nourishment in their whole meal state. Refined grains, meaning white rice and white flour foods, cause inflammation which can cause diseases like obesity, heart disease, stroke, diabetes and cancer.
SURAH/CHAPTER 2: AYAH/VERSE 261 Sūrat an-Naḥl (The BEES)
”The likeness of those who spend their wealth in the Way of God, is as the likeness of a grain (of corn); it grows seven ears, and each ear has a hundred grains. God gives manifold increase to whom He pleases. And God is All-Sufficient for His creatures’ needs, All-Knower.” [2:261]
INGREDIENTS for single portion of porridge, you will need to do you times tables honey.
• 50- 100g porridge oats (pre-soaked) depends on your size and if you are training.
• 1 banana
• 130 ml milk nut milk like almond or cashew for cooking
• ½ – tsp cinnamon powder (optional)
• ½- tsp turmeric/haldi powder (optional)
• A tiny pinch of pepper (optional)
• ½- tsp ginger powder (optional)
• 50-100 ml milk for serving
• Fresh or cooked fruit and/or clear honey, to serve
• You could add raisins, dates or other dried fruits at cooking stage
• Soaked dates will help with constipation
1. Soak the oats in water for at least 8 hours/overnight, allowing them to ferment
2. When ready to cook, drain liquid off the oats , through colander and place in a small saucepan,
3. pour in the milk, add the banana
4. Add spices and stir for 1-2 minutes on medium heat
5. Turn off heat and cover,Leave to stand for 2 minutes before serving
6. Place in bowl, add remaining milk if desired
7. Add honey, banana, other fresh or cooked fruit
KarimahCuisina, here to empower you.
There’s more information on this blog about oats, grains and amzing Quranic Cooking alhamdulilah, which of the favours of Your Lord would you deny? Alhamdulilah