By Karimah Bint Dawoud, Qualified Nutritionist and award winning writer ” Heavenly Bites , the Best of Muslim Home Cooking”
As salaam alaikum, may the peace and blessings of The Creator of the heaven and earth and everything in between be with you beloved reader.
This is a special soothing from Karimah’s Cuisina. A signature recipe that we made last year, it was much better than shop bought creams so we decide to make it again and share with you our recipe , alhmdulilah.
When you make creams at home you have knowledge of all the heal-thy ingredients…
At Karimah’s Cuisina we have been infusing a jar of avocado oil on the window ledge for the last 3 months at least to get maximum sun fired goodness out of the dried petals.
We thought we would share this knowledge as we are in the height of summer with maybe only 2 months of good sunshine left this year to infuse oil, in shaa Allah, so please order calendula petals today and oil and start infusing yourself some oil to have a lovely cream, to nourish your skin through the cold winter months in shaa Allah.
Calendula cream is comforting and soothing for dry skin, nappy rash, psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, premature ageing, acne , insect bites and minor cuts and grazes.
Calendula cream should not be used by;
1. People allergic to plants in daisy familiar, allergy normally results in a rash
2. Pregnant women should NOT use calendula. There is a concern that it might cause a miscarriage. … Members of this family include ragweed, chrysanthemums, marigolds, daisies, and others.
3. Not to be applied to open wounds.
This is quite a large quantity and makes enough cream to last you a few month which is comforting if you have and ongoing skin condition, otherwise you could make with friends and share.
This homemade calendula cream requires two-steps.
1. Infusing the oil
2. Making the cream with the oil…
INGREDIENTS FOR INFUSING THE OIL
• 1 cup of good quality carrier oil like almond, coconut jojoba oil for inflammatory skin dis-eases like eczema or psoriasis AND hotter energy oils like olive oil, avocado oil and grape seed oil for nourishing mature skin.
• 2 cups of dried calendula flowers, make sure by picking through them that they are really dry as any moist bits will cause your oil to go bad.
• 500 ml/2 cup glass jar with lid that seals like Kilner jar
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CREAM
All these ingredients can be bought via the internet for competitive prices.
• 240 ml /1 cup infused calendula oil
• 120ml / ½ cup shea butter
• 120ml /½ cup coconut oil
• 240ml / 1cup water
• 75 ml /5 tablespoon zinc oxide powder( do not add zinc for anti-ageing cream, unless you want sun protection)
• 120 ml/1/2 cup beeswax (emulsifier)
• 12 to 25 drops of essential oils relative to the purpose of your cream please see list below* one of the directors of Karimah’s Cuisina is a qualified aromatherapy and she gave us the reference for these oil.
• small sieve 10cm/6 “ diameter
• A 30cm square piece of muslin cloth
• A clean blender
• Clean glass or mason jars
• Electric hand whisk or hand held blender, or hand whisk.
METHOD TO INFUSE THE OIL
• Make sure your glass jar is clean and dry then add the two cups of flowers
• The top the jar up with the oil, gently press the dry flowers down so they are more compact in the jar than they were in the cups you used to measure
• Seal the lid and place in sunny safe place; we placed ours on the window lid that gets loads of sunshine.
• Leave for at least 1 month.
• Place the sieve above a bowl or large jug to catch the oil as you sieve and squeeze the muslin.
• Using a fine piece of muslin, the size of a handkerchief, that’s about 30cm square; place the muslin across a 6″/10cm size approx sieve.
• Strain the flowers out of the oil by pouring the oil through the muslin and sieve and finally squeezing the muslin by bringing all 4 corners towards the centre and twisting it.
• Transfer the oil to a clean, airtight jar to store – or use immediately.
• You should now have one cup of beautiful deep yellow calendula oil.
METHOD FOR MAKING THE CREAM
• When you want to start making the cream get all your ingredients ready as there is some quick mixing of ingredients involved
• Take a medium size pot and half fill it with water and bring to a gently boil
• Place a heat proof bowl on top of the pot to create a double boiler and turn the heat down so the water in the pot now simmers.
• Pour 1 cup of the infused oil into the heat proof bowl above the pot.
• Add the shea butter and coconut oil.
• Then add the beeswax.
• Stir gently while the beeswax melts
• Remove from the heat and leave to cool for 5 minutes before adding the essential oils and stir.
• Using the hand whisk/blender, start adding the water 1 table spoon at a time; it’s really lovely how you see the consistency of the oil change.
• Using a small sieve gently add the zinc 1 table spoon at a time through the sieve to remove any lumps.
• Using a spoon, place the cream into the clean jars and allow to 24 hours for the ingredients to fuse together before using.
• I could say that this natural, preservative free cream will keep for approximately one month when stored in the refrigerator, but really it lasts much longer.
*SPECIAL SUGGESTIONS FOR SKIN CONDITIONS
• For dry skin: Carrot Seed, Lavender , Rose , Rosemary , Jasmine, Patchouli, Cedarwood Frankincense ,Geranium ,Helichrysum ,Palmarosa ,Myrrh ,Yarrow.
• For anti-aging: Geranium, Rose, Sandalwood, Frankincense, Lavender or Myrrh
• For healing: Camomille, Lavender, Tea Tree