By Karimah bint Dawoud,
In my process of eating less meat and reviving the following Islamic Sunnah, where the prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings of the Creator be upon him, didn’t eat meat for as much as 2-3 months out of choice. I had to return to my Rasta days in which I was pescatarian, vegetarian and even vegan. This back in the daze recipe is combined with my now wheat free days .
Sunflower oil for cooking, please do not destroy your olive oil by cooking it, it’s great for dressings food after its cook or dressing salad, veggies etc but not for cooking.
1-2 packets of lasagne OR of free from wheat lasagne, available from health stores and super markets
1 packet quorn mince, does have traces of eggs so could be replaced with soak red lentils
3 small onions
Garlic, as much as you like
1 tin of tomatoes
1 cup of water
1 tea spoon of basil, anti-inflammatory (good for sore throat, arthritis) and good for your heart
2 teaspoon of oregano, high anti-oxidant so helps anti-aging just look at all those youthful Italians and Palestians.
1 tea spoon black pepper ground helps digest food
1 level tea spoon of sea salt
1 can Campbell’s condense mushroom soup OR 1 carton of soya cream
1 cup of fresh mushrooms
1 cup spinach, frozen or tinned
- I find with gluten free lasagne that tis a bit wavy and the sheets are not straight, maybe it was just the one we bought? So soak them in boiled water with 1 dessert spoon of oil stirred through it before adding pasta to stop pasta sticking together. The regular lasagne is usually not need soaking as it very straight
- Place 1 dessert spoon/10ml sunflower oil in large frying pan and turn on medium heat
- Add chopped onions and sauté gently stirring occasionally
- As onions golden add garlic and cook for a few more minutes
- Add quorn mice of drained soak red lentils, stir and fry for 5 minutes
- Then add peeled and grated carrots, stir and cook for further 5 minutes
- Add oregano, basil, black pepper and salt, stir, you can be a bit Heston Blumenthal and add in a bit of star aniseed but not necessary.
- Add tin of tomatoes and stir in
- Add 1 cup of warm water bring to boil and turn down low and simmer covered while you make the other sauce
SPINACH AND MUSHROOM SAUCE
- Peel and chop/crush garlic .I was reading somewhere that if you crush chop garlic and leave it for a few minutes to oxides before adding it to anything or anything to it, then it benefits your health contrary to out dated common opinion. If you give your chopped/crushed garlic time to sit before changing its temperature (through cooking) or its pH (through the addition of acidic food like lemon juice), it will give the alliinase enzymes in garlic an opportunity to work on behalf of your health. Leave garlic
- Washed and take skin off mushroom heads and chop mushrooms, head and stalks
- Add 1 dessert spoon/10ml of oil to another frying pan, medium heat add garlic and stir around to infuse the oil for a minute or two, then add mushrooms, whizz them around briefly they don’t need to be thoroughly cooked, add either tinned of soup or soya cream or diary cream and stir, add a pinch of salt and ground black pepper to taste. There you have sauce number two without spinach
- Additionally add frozen/tinned spinach or fresh but it takes more time. Stir into mushroom cream sauce and cover let it cook for 10 minutes. Voila spinach and mushroom cream sauce.
BACK TO LASAGNA
Preheat oven gas mark 5/
- Get baking tray ready. 1 packet of lasagne does a bread tin size baking dish ad 2 packets does a larger one that would do a roast chicken in.
- Drain lasagne pasta and separate sheets and rinse in cold water, you will have to be quick now.
- Place a layer of pasta on base of tin, you will need to overlap piece and break pieces etc, time to get creative.
- Then a layer of Bolognese sauce about 1/2” just under 1 cm thick , spread it out
- Then another layer of pasta
- Then layer of spinach mushroom
- Keep layering till you read top of baking tray
- Finally a layer of grated renin free vegetarian approved cheese, loosely cover with foil.
- Baked in pre-heated oven, gas mark 5/190C/375 F fairly hot, on middle shelf for 45 minutes or till tender when you put a skewer through it.
- Serve with salad and enjoy
- Uou can even let it cool down and freeze chunky slices
AMAZING GARLIC INFO