By Karimah bint Dawoud, Muslim Chaplain & Ex-Fashion Model.
I live in Zurich on and off for years, modelling for fashion companies, choreographers , exhibitions and in store fashion shows, it was glamour but hectic and then a little bit tiresome having to refresh my make-up 5 times a day for fashion shows, now I clean my face 5 times a day for prayers Alhamdulillah, praise The Creator.
However whilst living in Zürich and commuting to Paris and Munich, I learnt a few things. Swiss culture was native white Swiss middle class glamorous life, native white and Italian Swiss hippie environmentalists and the migrant black population from exotic places like Santa Domingo, Ghana and Brazil Swiss men loved black women, I don’t know if things have changed but I doubt it.
The Swiss are health wise and environmentally more advanced than the UK, we were drinking herbal teas there many many moons ago and you could buy boxed and packaged herbal teas, labelled for various health requirements from youth local chemist in and out of town, its part of their culture-herbs.
Of course the Swiss eat loads of cheese, cream, chocolate all from milk from Swiss cows that graze on the green green swizz mountains.
This recipe is something meat free and tasty I learnt while living there.
Potato and Cauliflower Cheese
1-2 large potatoes
1 regular tub of cream or crème fraiche
150 g vegetarian cheddar or Gloucester cheese grated.
1-3 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tea spoon salt
- Washed potatoes and cauliflower and chop into large chunks 5cm square, like big gold balls.
- Steam/ boil for 20 minute. Then check they are tender when pierced with fork of knife. we like to steam it holds in more the vitamin and minerals of the veggies
- Put oven on and when vegies are cooked take let off and let them cool down
- Mix together the broken eggs, the cream, 100g of the grated cheese, crushed garlic (optional) and salt and spices.
- Place veggies in baking tray or casserole dish so they fit snuggly
- Pour cream mixture over the veggies, and then sprinkle the remaining grated cheese over the whole dish.
- Cover with tin foil if the potatoes were a bit all dente/hard
- and place in oven gas mark 5 for 20 minutes
- We would normally eat with steamed spinach but after what I am learning about food combining maybe a green salad would be a good starter then leave for 30 minutes or more if possible and have the potatoes and cauliflower cheese on its own for better digestion.
This is really tasty veggie comfort food and still 7 days with no meat, praise God