By Karimah Bint Dawoud, Muslim Chaplain& Well Being Writer.
Feeling sluggish, cold symptoms, eye infections, stomach overly acidic and don’t feel like eating much? Is your energy low?
You are experiencing the RAMADHAN MID DROP! This is probably because you have been eating the same ole same ole fried foods, junk foods and not eating sensibly when you break your fast.
Here is a wonderful solution to get you up and jumping in time for the last 10 days inshallah.
I usually buy my fruit and vegetables all over the place, markets, farmers market and supermarkets. When I see berries , strawberries, raspberries, black berries on offer I buy them wash and freeze because those little beauties spoil very quickly. They can be used later in jams , juices and smoothies.
After a day filming a nutrition segment with Radical Middle Way , where the chopped up fruits all got mixed up, I decided to put a big handful into freezer bags already mixed up, all you need to do is get one bag out of the freezer, add apple juice or water and blend, the perfect slush puppy without the junk – 100% au naturelle! If you don’t have time for this, you can buy bags of frozen fruit in the freezer section of most supermarkets.
• Berries high in vitamin C, boost your immune system, good for allergies and infections.
• Banana, high in vitamin B6, good for nerves and brain connections, potassium good for heart good for ulcerated stomach. Also good for eyes.
• peaches, high in vitamin A, good for eye sight, vitamin K, good for the blood, Vitamin E, antioxidant, potassium good for maintaining healthy blood pressure. Anti aging and combats cancer forming free radicals.
• pineapple, high in bromelain which is good for joints, very high in vitamin C which is good for immune system and is an anti histamine to relieve allergies and infections, good for digestion.
• Kiwi, a super fruit, also high in vitamin C, boost immune system, relives allergies, good for eyesight, repairs DNA, good for pregnant mothers because they contain folic acid.
All fruits contain sugary carbohydrates, they are bundles of Allah’s sunshine combined with vitamins and minerals from the earth in handy packs. This is where you will get the energy to push on and go to tarweeh.
Place opened bag of frozen fruits in blender and leave to stand for 5 minutes, add half the quantity of blender with apple juice or water, then blitz for 1 minute, pour into half a glass you may need to add more water or juice because this mixture is seriously concentrated mashallah.
Most of these fruits are high in fibre, particularly in a smoothie rather than juice, which is good for digestion, relieves constipation, reduces cholesterol and is good for the heart.
There is no need to add milk to smoothie, unless is fresh organic milk, most milk is really not that good for us. Bananas or avocados will add that comfort creaminess we crave, while giving us that vitamin and mineral boost we need.
If you love this and enjoyed it, there are loads more healthy smoothie recipe in my book “Heavenly Bites, The Best Of Muslim Home Cooking”