By Karimah Bint Dawoud, muslim chaplain & well being writer.
Quick & Easy Jammy Dodgers.
Makes 12 cookies.
When I first saw this recipe I thought, ” We just have to make these bundles of nature’s goodness and add a little twist to give it our signature!” . Oat and almond cookies, fused together with honey and spice…nice. Oats are good for the nerves and almonds are good for the brain. Here they are, on this rainy summer afternoon, nice with a cup of chai masala.
2 cups and 1/4 Cup Rolled Oats
Almonds – 1 cup
Honey – 1/2 cup
1/4 cup(2 oz) Sunflower/Vegetable Oil –
1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp haldi powder
Strawberry jam .
1) Place 2 cups Oats and grind into flour in the processor, place in mixing bowl.
2) Place all the almonds to a food processor and grind , at first they will bang around a bit but don’t worry, they do not have to be ground fine, can be powdery and coarse. Place in bowl with oats.
3) Add spices
4) Add Oil, Honey and mix thoroughly and form a dough. Add another 1/4 cup of oats(unprocessed)
5) Preheat Oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit, Gas 4
6) Grease a cookie tray with butter, it adds tot eh taste
7) Make small balls of oat mix ,about the size of small tennis ball, pat flat in hands then place on buttered baking tray, carefully make a dent in the middle with your finger, for jam to go in, leave space between them as they will expand.
8) When you have place all 12 on the tray, fill the centers with jam , using a tea spoon for precision.
9)Place in middle tray of oven and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown. Make sure you keep an eye on the timer or you will have burnt cookies.
10) Cool them away from the oven on a heat proof surface, we use one of these cast iron pot stands . Don’t eat too many , even though they are full of goodness, share with friends, family and neigbours, fi there are any over, store in airtight box. Apparently they are better the next day but ours never last that long!