Oatmeal & spicy pancakes,
by Karimah bint Dawoud, muslim chaplain and well being writer
These pancakes get texture and flavor from rolled oats and flavour from spice. Top these delicious pancakes with fruit coulis and honey and know that they are good for your heart.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 egg, beaten
- Combine oats and milk.
- whisk or blend in remaining ingredients.
- Heat a small frying pan and brush a few drops of sunflower oil around it .
- Cook pancakes in medium hot pan,
- you will see the pan cake starting to dry around edges and begin to lift with spatula,
- when you can easily get the spatula underneath-flip or turn over and repeat to lightly brown both sides.
Tip: To keep pancakes warm, line a plate or platter with a kitchen towel or cloth napkin and cover with the towel. Then cover with an inverted colander or place an inverted bowl over the plate, positioning so steam can easily escape.
- 300 g soft summer fruits (such as strawberries, raspberries, blackberries or stoned cherries)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- icing sugar, to taste
- wash fruits
- chop and place in saucepan
- add 1/4 cup of water and bring to boil
- turn heat down low and cover
- cook for 15minutes
- turn heat off and leave to stand
- some people sieved at this point o get rid of seeds but we are going to keep them for their vitamins and minerals and roughage
- add lemon juice and a little honey or sugar to taste
- you can blend using hand held or jug blender to get it a bit more smooth
- serve drizzled over oat cakes