By Karimah Bint Dawoud, Muslim chaplain & well being writer.
There is something nostalgic and distinctively British about egg mayonnaise and cucumber sandwiches. We could smoother them in curry powder or paprika and bring them into the elective 21st century but these are a tribute the Queen of England’s Diamond Jubilee and all the wonderful street parties bring in people of all races and faith together , this is how you do it.
This combination is enough for a snack for 2 person to have 2 crackers each
Each serving = 150 calories, see a little bit of what you fancy does you good and isn’t that fattening at all,alhmdulilah
1 egg (1 medium size egg approx 70 calories
10 ml mayonnaise, (10ml = 1 dessert spoon= 66 calories)
1 teaspoon crushed black or white pepper
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
Spring onions or ordinary onions or chives (optional, we had some old spring onions that needed using up)
Serve with oat crackers 45 calories each.
Dandelion leaves or other salad leaves tomato.
Avocado slices optional but see blog for health benefits of avocado.
• boil water in kettle or small milk pan, place water in small saucepan and turn heat on medium.
• place eggs in boiling water with some sort of large spoon , you don’t want them cracking on the bottom of saucepan
• boil for 7-10 minutes
• turn off heat
• pour hot water away carefully and let tap run on eggs for a few minutes, leave at least 5 minutes, it helps the inside egg contract, as its cools and helps the shells come off easily.
• take off shells
• slice egg into small bowl
• add mayonnaises , salt and pepper.
• add additional seasoning; onions, chives, curry powder .
• serve on crackers, this mixture is enough topping for 4 medium size crackers
• add some fresh salad and sunshine
The word “dandelion” originated in France. The English translated the French word Dent de Lion to dandelion, which means “lion’s tooth.” Whether it is named this because of its jagged leaves or jagged yellow flower is unknown.