BY Karimah Bint Dawoud, Muslim Chaplain & Well Being Writer.
Tofu is the curd from the fermentation of soya beans. On its own tofu is really bland and boring, in the olden days just chopped up and thrown into a stir fry with loads of some brown sort of sauce and that was it, well in the western world anyway.
These days with the internet and my best study buddy; Google, I found this technique to dry fry the tofu, ready to soak up whatever you throw at it.
There are at least three fantastic marinade recipes in my cook book, Heavenly Bites, The Best Of Muslim Home Cooking.
Marinades are great for this warm weather when you just want to have light food; BBG, grilled, stir fried. This marinade will have your juices flowing It’s for dry fried tofu, it can also be used for chicken pieces and seafood.
PINEAPPLE TERIYAKI MARINADE
Serves 4 persons
1 block of tofu in packet approx 400g
1/2 kilo mange tout / French beans/broccoli/asparagus
additional dry roast cashew nuts for extra flavour, protein
1/2 fresh pineapple and juice cut into segments
1 table spoons soy sauce
1 table spoon crushed fresh ginger
2-3 ml of 5 spice powder
2 oz rice vinegar
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ tea spoon sea salt
1-3 green chilies
3-5 cloves of garlic sliced
1/2 cup of orange/orange and mango juice
• Drain tofu through sieve or colander, leave about 15minutes
• Using a heavy bottom frying pan or griddle, heat while you are draining tofu for about 15 minute medium heat, when it stats smoking, turn down low.
• Cut tofu block in half, then cut each half into 4 slices , then cut each slice into 2 triangles across the square like the foto.
• With NO oil place the tofu triangles in the pan and cook low and long.
• Make the marinade – Mix together 1/2 fresh pineapple cut into segments, soy sauce, chopped/ crushed fresh ginger, garlic and green chilies, 5 spice powder, rice vinegar, black pepper, sea salt. phew! And 1/2 cup of orange/orange and mango juice, which was a last minute thought that worked really well , alhamduliah.
• Using a spatula, press the remaining water out of the tofu, it’s tough stuff so won’t break too easily.
• It takes about 20 minutes on each side, you need patience or just do something else but keep an eye on it.
• You can see it browning underneath, when then move with just a bit of nudging with teh spatula turn them over and cook the other side
• When they are golden brown both sides add to marinate, place ideally in a long covered plastic box and place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
• Using a wok or karachi pan heat on medium heat, add 1 teaspoon sunflower oil and one teas spoon sesame, if you don’t have sesame use argan oil.
• Add roughly chopped onions, cook a few minutes stirring, that’s why it s called stir fry
• Then mange tout or French bean or broccoli, cook a few minutes stirring
• Add carrot ribbons or slices, cook a few minutes stirring
• Add tofu marinade and all juices, cook a few minutes stirring, cook 5 minutes and serve with rice or on its own its great light, fresh and low calorie.
marinade I hope you enjoy this as much as we did! Bon appetit!