CARROT, SQUASH & ROASTED TOMATO SOUP
by Karimah bint Dawoud, muslim chaplain& well being writer
I love homemade soup, free of all those nasty additives and preservesative and evil E numbers. you can really taste the vegetable on homemade soup because its fresh and as its fresh its releases all that fantastic energy from the sun that was trapped inside the vegetables. Before I start writing an ode to vegetable let me tell you how to make this delicious snack or supper treat.
20 cherry tomatoes(or whatever is leftover in the fridge not worthy of salad)
1-3 dried chilies
1 heap dessert soup cumin seeds
10ml sunflower oil
1/2 butternut squash or 2 cups of pumpkin
2 cups of warm water
1 cup of milk
1 veggie stock cube
1 tsp sea salt
• wash the tomatoes out in roasting tin and place in over gas 5/ electric 375F / 190 C (Make a cake/do some jacket potatoes while the ovens on, save energy )
• in a medium size pot on medium heat dry fry cumin seeds and cut up chilies, cut them fine and stir around pan till cumin seeds pop, the fumes will take your breather away and inshallah shift that cough. see a little aside for serving later.
• add sunflower oil, stir round quick then add carrots and squash , stir and gently sauté(fry) for about 3minutes then add water and milk.
• gently boil on medium heat for 20 minutes, teh milk may curdle but it will be fine when you blend it
• remover tomatoes from over and add to soup mix, roasting causing the sugars to caramelize , adding to the rustic flavor of teh soup.
• continue cooking for about 10 minutes, turn off heat and blend
• now if you are putting into just blender, let the soup cool to war, I once put hot soup into my glass jugs blender and alas it is not more, the glass count take the heat and cracked. blend when warm and reheat before serving.
• if you are using one of those hand held blenders, you can place in pot and blend straightaway.
• serve with left over cumin and chilies, a little lemon and olive oil if you wish.Bon appetit !
Carrots are high on vitamin and anti-oxidant, which means they are great for your skins, eyes and heart, good if you have an ulcer. Butternut squash is part of the pumpkin family, one of the vegetables most beloved to prophet Muhammad , salah al alaihi wa salem.
Narrated Ishaq bin ‘Abdullah bin Abu Talha, “I heard Anas bin Malik saying, “A tailor invited Allah’s Apostle to a meal which he had prepared. ” Anas bin Malik said, “I accompanied Allah’s Apostle to that meal. He served the Prophet with bread and soup made with gourd and dried meat. I saw the Prophet taking the pieces of gourd from the dish.” Anas added, “Since that day I have continued to like gourd.” Sahih Bukhari, Volume 3, Book 34, Number 305.