ALHMDULILAH…I became a muslim because…
by karimah bint dawoud, muslim chaplain and well being writer.
ALHMDULILAH…I became a muslim because I feel more content to stay in the house unless there is a good reason for me to go out. there is a pressure in some societies and cultures that its wrong to stay in thenhosue , that there is somethign wrong with you if you stay in adn that you have to be out every day…… and night, espcially friday ad saturday night! in some societies you are seen as s social loser if you are in on the weekends, however you are seen as a queen by others , in other cultures when you stay in your house and dont go out uinless necessary.
In Surah Al-Ahzab, Allah addresses the wives of Prophet Muhammad [صَلى اللهُ عَليهِ وَ سَلم] with specific commands to guard their chastity:
“And abide quietly in your homes, and do not flaunt your charms as they used to flaunt them in the old days of pagan ignorance; and be constant in prayer, and render the purifying dues, and pay heed unto Allah and His Messenger: for Allah only wants to remove from you all that might be loathsome, O you members of the [Prophet’s] household, and to purify you to utmost purity.” [33:33]
However this section of the Quran is not an excuse to disengage with society and stay at home and get fat and lazy, nor is it a reason to imprison your wife, wives or female members of the house. These ayats are used continuously by men who want their women to stay in the home and not mix with the society they live in. As Muslim women , some of us collude with this mentally and use it as an excuse to let go of our health and wellbeing.The following are valid reasons for women to go outside the house.
Islamically a woman can go out for necessity and some of the things that necessitate being good practicing Muslim are
- attend Friday Jum’uah and Eid prayers
- To perform hajj and umrah.
- Pursuit of education/knowledge.
- To visit sick relatives, or to respond to social calls and dinner/wedding invitations; to visit neighbors, extended family, commiserating after a death and attending a funeral, or matchmaking/negotiating marriage proposals between families.
- To visit the doctor or the hospital.
- To work at a job, if there is no mahrum man providing for them
- To teach other women and children.
- To work to provide medical services and other care to women and children.
- To work as domestic helpers/maids, nannies, cooks, personal assistants/secretaries, and as attendants to elderly or invalid women.
- To work for security. At airports, visa-issuing embassies, and other checkpoints, women need to be present to check other women for security reasons..
- To work as technicians, trainers, fashion designers or beauticians.
- For passports and national identity documents, women need to be photographed and those who choose to cover their faces, should have the option to uncover their faces only before a female photographer.
Within Islam there are plenty of opportunities and justification for women to go out of the house. There is no excuse for inactivity unless the person has some kind of disability,obesity should not be something in this deen.
Islam is the religion of the middle way and this middle way means in everything including health and well being.