Going out of season in September
Seasonal ingredients October
This is an interesting lovely soup that could be made with the many seasonal fruits and vegetables coming in from the fields right now, taken from a Canadian student web site, it’s a lovely veggie recipe definitey worth tweeking.
Butternut Squash, Celeriac, Parsnip & Apple Soup
- 1 1/2 cups leeks, halved & thinly sliced
- 3 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 1/2 cups butternut squash, peeled, seeded & chopped
- 1 cup celeriac, peeled & chopped
- 1/2—1 cup parsnips, peeled & chopped
- 4 cups homemade chicken stock
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 medium apples, peeled, seeded & chopped
Put it Together
It’s ideal to work with a larger bottom pot so that everything can cook evenly together.
1. Saute leeks in butter on medium-low heat until tender and translucent
2. Add squash, celeriac, parsnip, stock, thyme and salt.
3. Bring to a gentle simmer and cook until nearly tender.
4. Add apple and continue to cook until everything is tender enough to puree.
5. Puree soup in a blender and season with additional salt to taste.