Karimah’s Chicken Curry -Village Stylee
This recipe is seriously slam dunkin maashallah!
This has to be one of the best curry recipes, it’s complicated and that’s what makes it good, it’s not a curry from a bottle or shop bought paste, it’s a DIY, do-it-yourself spice exploration. It’s well worth the fuss and once you’ve made it once you’ll want to do it over and over again just because of the taste.
We used free range halal ethically reared chicken from Willowbrook Farm, in Oxfordshire and the different it made was like it tasted like curry grannie use to make when we were young, if you are old enough to remember those daze.
Make enough of the roasted seed mix and it will be easier next time if you don’t give it away like we did, still you have to get them hooked don’t you?
- 1 lb/500 grammes chicken, asked the butcher to cut into curry pieces, we used wings instead.
- 2 tbsps. /30ml fresh chopped garlic/ginger each
- 1 tbsps. /15ml red chili powder
- 1 tbsp. turmeric powder
- 2 tbsps/30ml . grated coconut flour
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbp/15ml sesame seeds
- 1 tbp/15ml . cumin seeds
- 1 tbp/15ml . coriander seeds
- 10 peppercorns seeds
- 1 stick cinnamon (12 inch)
- 7 cloves
Curry Start Up
- 2 tbsps. /30ml vegetable oil
- 3 fresh green chilies
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 medium onion (chopped fine)
- 1 x 345 ml tin, usual size tinned tomatoes.
- Mix the chopped ginger-garlic, turmeric powder, salt, and 1 tablespoon of the red chili powder.
- Rob over chicken pieces and set aside while you prepare the roasted
- Heat heavy frying pan/cast iron skillet until its smoking. Turn the heat down.
- Add all seeds and stir; you will need to put some mesh cover over pans and sesame pop and jump out. Roast till they release aroma smell, its lovely.
- Turn heat off and leave to cool down, and then grind by hand or in blender with coconut flour. Set aside.
- Back to our heavy bottomed pan, add vegetable oil. On medium heat add bay leaves and chilies to infuse oil with flour then add chopped onions.
- Fry onions till golden and softened then oil chicken pieces
- Cook chicken for 5 minutes on each side then turning do they don’t burn
- Add 2 tbsp /30ml of seed spice masala mix and put the rest in jar for next time or give it to a sister like we did. Stir in, so all meat is covered.
- Add chopped tinned tomatoes and water, stir
- Turn heat up and bring to boil the turn down low and cover for 45mnutes
- You can add potatoes and boiled eggs if you wish.
- As any curry connoisseur knows, curry is better than next day, if you can wait till them serve with brown rice and carrot, beetroot and onion salsa.
- Organic halal chicken…because we’re worth it, all praise is due to the Creator of the heavens and earth and everything in between.