By Karimahs Cuisina
We have been making pesto this way for so long that I forgot that some people put cheese in it.For Muslims parmesan cheese it haram because it contains an enzyme called rennet, which comes from the stomachs’ of baby cows…..not very nice!
So these vegan alternative, diary free is perfect, if you don’t have pine nuts its ok, they are one of the most expensive nuts, you can always substitute with almonds, cashew , sunflower or pumpkin seeds. Some people like to toast the seeds before had, which is nice but not necessary.
Pesto can be eaten with pasta, salad or simply with bread the combination of nuts and herbs and olive oil is a common breakfast all over the Arab and Mediterranean, it’s a lovely start to the day after water and juice and honey.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
- 1-2 cups fresh basil, stalks and all
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 cup pine nuts
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast (optional)
- ½ -1 teaspoon sea salt to taste
- 1-2 teaspoon black pepper to taste
- Soak nuts with skins (walnuts, almonds) over night to release enzyme inhibitors
- Wash and drain all herbs, we like to use a salad spinner to get them drier but an hour in the sun would be better.
- Add herbs, nuts, oil and garlic to blender and blitz, now unless you have Vitamix , you will have to keep turning the blender off and taking the lid off and using a spatula to mix and turn the pesto, its ok , it’s worth it until you get a Vitamix inshallah.
- When the ingredients are blended add a little salt and pepper and taste, ad mote in necessary, it now where you can add the nutritionally yeast available from health shops.
- That’s it, simply and easy
- Keep in the fridge in a covered container till ready to use, cover with a thin layer of olive oil poured over the top to stop if going off, homemade pesto doesn’t last for ages to use ASAP
- Enjoy and give thanks to The Creator for this blessing.