FOODS OF THE NOBLE QURAN AND SUNNAH-LEMON – UTRUJJ (citron)
by Karimah bint Dawoud
Lemon is mentioned in the Sunnah(examples and saying of the Prophet Muhammad, salah la alaihi wa salem) and Medicine of the Prophet , in relation to sugar cane-(qasab al sukkar)
The Prophet salah alaihi wa salem said ” The believer who recites the Quran is likened to the utrujj; its taste is good, its scent is good” Sahih Bukhari at’ima 30
The Book of Medicine states that the juice of lemon, orange or plum pomegranate repels the harmful effects of the sugar cane.
Lemon is also part of the citrus family-(utrujj) .All citrus fruits; lemon, orange, limes, grapefruits, tangerines, clematines etc consists of four part; peel, pulp, flesh and seeds. Each one of these pieces has its own temperament.
The peel keeps moths away from clothes and its scents the air. It sweetens breathe in the mouth and when added to food aids digestion. Its flesh soften the stomach and aids those of a bilious temperament.
The pulp awakens the appetite for food so for those of us trying to put weight on, this could be a solution inshallah.
The following recipe is featured in my forth coming book “Heavenly Bites” published by Kube publishers
Lemon Polenta Cake
Cake is the first thing I learnt to make with my Mauritian grandma, she even gave me three large solid silver forks to mix with, we didn’t use a whisk back then, just elbow grease. This is one of my favourite cakes as it doesn’t have too much wheat flour, its light and fluffy with a hint of lemon is fresh on your palate.
175g/6 oz polenta
50g/20z plain flour
1 ½ tbs baking powder
½ tsp salt
5tbs natural yogurt
5 tbsp vegetable/sunflower/ground nut oil
Zest finely grated of 2 unwaxed lemons
2 tbs juice of lemon juice
2 whole eggs
2 egg whites
200g/7 oz castor sugar
Yogurt and berries to serve with
You will need a couple of measuring jugs or bowls,1.2 litre or 2 pint cake tin or ring, a whisk and lemon juicer ideally
- Pre heated over to gas mark 4/180 degrees C
- Sift polenta, flour, salt, baking powder into a bowl
- Put yogurt, lemon zest., lemon juice and oil into a jug and stir together
- Separate eggs and egg whites and beat egg whites in large jug or bowl, add yolks and blend softly as you don’t want to loose the fluffiness of the whites and fold in sugar till mixture is still fluffy and creamy
- Add yogurt mixture to egg mixture and softly fold in
- Finally add all dry ingredient into the cake mixture in the large bowl , gently blending
- Grease the cake tin with a little oil on piece of kitchen tissue or baking brush
- Add cake batter
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until skewer come out clean when pierce into cake
- Take out cake and leave to cool outside oven, friend of mine left it in the oven to cool even though she turned it off and the cake carried on cooking a burnt
- Serve with yogurt or crème fraiche and seasonal berries