I saw this soup on the glowing fridge.com and knew it would be perfect for breaking fast time.
I tweaked it a bit and invite you to do the same
After all its just a set of guideline 🙂
I love vegetables and get annoying if I don’t eat any vegetables 🙂
Soups are a gently way to ease the body into food after a long day of fasting. This wonderful way of cooking an oil free soup is nutritionally enhanced by serving with olive oil and apple cidar vinegar. Olive oil is a good lubricant for the whole system and helps keep the skin looking young and moist.
Lemon juice is also another dressing but apple cidar vinegar has additional health benefits we have covered before and it adds another taste dimension.
This recipe was inspired by http://www.theglowingfridge.com/cleansing-detox-soup/
but given a Karimah twist.
It looks like loads of ingredients but they are mostly veggies
Serves 6 portions
1. 1/4 cup water (or vegetable broth)
2. 1 onion,red/white, chopped
3. 3 cloves garlic, minced
4. 3 celery stalks, diced
5. 3 medium carrots, diced
6. 1 small head of broccoli, florets
7. 2 cups kale, de-stemmed and torn in pieces
8. 1 cup cabbage, white or red, chopped
9. 1 cup chopped tomatoes
10. 3cm fresh ginger, washed and minced
11. 1 teaspoon dry turmeric OR 3cm piece fresh
12. 1 teaspoon cinnamon
13. Pinch of chilli pepper, or to taste
14. fine-grain sea salt and black pepper, to taste
15. 6 cups water (or 4 cups vegetable broth + 2 cups water)
16. juice from 1/2 of a small lemon (or a whole lemon, depending how much lemon flavor you prefer)
1. In a large pot, add the water and turn on the heat to medium-high. After it’s hot, add the onion and garlic. Sauté for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the celery, carrots, broccoli, tomatoes and fresh ginger. Stir and cook for 3 minutes, adding in extra water or broth as needed (another 1/4 cup). Stir in the turmeric, cinnamon, and cayenne pepper plus salt and pepper to taste.
2. Add in the water or vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add in the kale, cabbage and lemon juice near the last 2-3 minutes of simmering.
3. Serve with virgin olive oil and apple cidar vinegar, for maximum nutrition and weight loss this Ramadhan no need to eat bread thank you.
Left overs will last in the fridge a couple of days