By Karimah bint Dawoud, muslim chaplain & well being writer.
Ar-Rad (The Thunder) Chapter 13 Verse 4.
“And within the land are neighboring plots and gardens of grapevines and crops and palm trees, [growing] several from a root or otherwise, watered with one water; but We make some of them exceed others in [quality of] fruit. Indeed in that are signs for a people who reason.”
An-Nahl (The Bees) Chapter 16 Verse 11.
“He causes to grow for you thereby the crops, olives, palm trees, grapevines, and from all the fruits. Indeed in that is a sign for a people who give thought.”
People ask me “why do you put avocado in fruit salad?”
First and foremost fruits are often mentioned by Allah in the Quran, not all are individually named but Allah The Creator says “all the fruits”.
Many years ago my grandfather used to make trips to our homeland south African and bring us back avocado in his suit case. This was way before you could buy them in the UK. You have never seen such excitement as three little children crowding round this old man to get a spoon full of avocado creamed together within the shell with sugar. Deep in the English countryside the exotic souls of these children wanted to taste a fruit from their roots.
Avocado is amazing when you are living healthy lifestyle, cutting out those useless fatty foods like crisp ,chips , samosas and pakoras. Our body needs fats but good fats. If you don’t have fats when you are changing your foods and cutting down out cutting out junk foods your joints can become brittle and your skin looks dry.
• avocado is packed with an unusual but useful fat called phystosterols, this is useful to beat inflammation, its benefits documented with problems to do with arthritis; oesteoarthris and rheumatic arthritis. These fats also make avocado great of the skin and its anti aging properties.
• avocado is packed with carotenoids, usually we think of orange vegetables like carrots and pumpkin but within the dark green flesh is the avocados highest concentration of carotenoid. This is good for protection against free radicals, free radicals in things like fried food can be carcinogenic, meaning they encourage cancers.
• avocado is good for the heart and cardio vascular health.
• avocados, high in vitamin B6 are good for your nerves.
• avocado is great for regulating blood sugar because of its low carbohydrate content and high fibre content.