After a number of dissappointing experiences with hijama practioners I decided to start studying hijama myself with the intention of self administering insha’allah.
It’s a therapy recommended by the angels to prophet Muhammad,salah la alaihi wa salem, and as Muslims we strive to follow his example.
I have found it to be a beneficial therapy by the grace of Allah however I have got to the point where I feel I want to learn more about it and self administer or skill swap with friends insha’Allah God willing.
I found this amazing site, showing the various places on the body you can put hijaama cups.This site doesn’t show points on the head which I have had “cupped” in the past but insha’Allah I’ll find somewhere else.
“I did not pass by any group of angels on the night of Al-Isra, unless they said to me, O Muhammad, tell your Ummah to do Hijama”
collected by the Sahih sunan of At-Tirmadee and Ibn Maja
‘Hijama’ is the Arabic for an ancient method of healing known in English as Wet Cupping or bloodletting
PRECAUTIONS NEED TO READ BEFORE CUPPING YOURSLEF OR ANYONE ELSE
- very weak persons should not be done Hijama.
- very elderly people should not be done Hijama.
- Dehydrated children should not be done Hijama.
- Hijama should not be done immediately after bath.
- Hijama should not be done immediately after a bath
- Hijama should not be done after abortion.
- Patients with valve transplant should not be done hijama.
- Incase of swollen knees cups should not be applied directly on knees.
- Diseases in which blood dont clot Hijama should not be done.
- For anemic patients after first cup, give them some sweet juice.
- Pregnant women should not be cupped during first semester of pregnancy.
- Menstrating woman do not cup below waist
- do not have bath or shower till 24 hours after therapy
MORE INFORMATION ON PRECAUTIONS
We would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have made this page possible after Allah. We would like to say JazakumAllah khair to the author Dr Ahmed Hefny and his wife Umm Yasin, the translator Rana Rashid Abu Hassan, Dr Aaliya Goyal and brother Vinod Thadhani fromhttp://www.leafwriter.com. May Allah reward them all immensely with the best of rewards for their efforts, ameen.
If you wish to know the cupping (hijama) points for any particular disease or ailment that is not listed below, please view the following books (which are available from our ‘Book Shop’):
‘Simple Health Maintenance’ by Dr Dean Richards (English or French)
‘Al-Hijama ‘Alaaj Nabawee’ by Mustafa Mohammed Imam (Arabic with some English)
‘Al-Hijama Wa At-tibb’ by Mustafa Mohammed Imam (Arabic with some English)
If the cupping (hijama) points for any particular disease or ailment are not listed below or in the above mentioned books, please kindly contact us. We will inshAllah contact experts in the field of cupping therapy (hijama) and endeavour to find out on your behalf.
The following are some diseases and ailments and the points where cupping (hijama) may be performed to treat these ailments. Some of these points are on the nerves and some are on the blood vessels. Others are on the power lines (acupuncture), and some are on the reflex points on the back. Some places are on the lymphatic glands, and some are for accumulation of blood. Some are for stimulating endocrine secretions and some are for strengthening the immune system. Others are for strengthening the brain.
- Rheumatism (painful joints) (points 1, 55, in addition to all areas of pain(.
- Roughness of knee (points 1, 55, 11, 12, 13 and cupping around the knee and you may add 53, 54(.
- Oedema (swollen tissue due to build up of fluid) (points 1, 55, 130, the right and left side of the heel and you may add 9, 10(.
- Sciatic pain (nerve pain from the buttock which goes down the leg)(for the right leg) (points 1, 55, 11, 12, 26, 51 and places of pain on the leg especially the beginning and the end of the muscle) (for the left leg) (points 1, 55, 11, 13, 27, 52 and places of pain on the leg especially the beginning and the end of the muscle).
- Back pain (positions 1, 55 and cupping on both sides of the spine and places of pain).
- Neck/shoulder pain (points 1, 55, 40, 20, 21 and places of pain(.
- Gout (swollen joints due to excess uric acid) (points 1, 55, 28, 29, 30, 31, 121 and places of pain(.
- Rheumatoid Arthritis (points 1, 55, 120, 49, 36 and all large and small joints).
- Paralysis of one half of the body (Hemiplegia) (points 1, 55, 11, 12, 13, 34 or 35 and all the injured joints, massage daily).
- Paralysis of all four limbs (Quadriplegia) (points 1, 55, 11, 12, 13, 34, 35, 36 and all body joints and daily massage).
- Immune system deficiency (points 1, 55, 120, 49).
- Muscle spasm several dry cupping around the affected muscle.
- Poor blood circulation (points 1, 55, 11 and ten cups on both sides of the spine from the top to the bottom in addition to taking a teaspoon of pure organic, raw, apple cider vinegar and honey every other day).
- Tingling arms (points 1, 55, 40, 20, 21, arm muscles and affected joints).
- Tingling feet (points 1, 55, 11, 12, 13, 26, 27, feet joints and affected muscles).
- Abdominal pain (points 1, 55, 7, 8 and dry cupping on 137, 138, 139, 140, as well as dry cupping on the back opposite to the pain).
(Dry Cupping means without any incisions/scratches (.
Important Note: The following points are arranged according to their importance. Sometimes, the cupping therapist does not need to use all of the points and sometimes he/she has to use them all, depending on the condition of the disease.
- Hemorrhoids (swollen vessels around anus) (points 1, 55, 121, 11, 6 and dry cupping on 137, 138, 139).
- Anal Fistula (opening in skin near anus, due to formation of a channel through which fluid leaks) (points 1, 55, 6, 11, 12, 13 and cupping around the anus and above the fistula hole).
- Prostate and Erectile dysfunction, ED (male impotence and urinary difficulty due to enlarged prostate gland) (points 1, 55, 6, 11, 12, 13) and you may add for ED 125, 126, 131 on both legs, and dry cupping on 140, 143.(
- Chronic coughs and lung diseases (points 1, 55, 4, 5, 120, 49, 115, 116, 9, 10, 117, 118, 135, 136, and two cups below both knees(.
- Hypertension (high blood pressure) (points 1, 55, 2, 3, 11, 12, 13, 101, 32, 6, 48, 9, 10, 7, 8, and you may replace 2, 3 with 43, 44).
- Stomach problems and ulcers (points 1, 55, 7, 8, 50, 41, 42 and dry cupping on 137, 138, 139, 140(.
- Renal (kidney) disease (points 1, 55, 9, 10, 41, 42 and dry cupping on 137,140).
- Irritable bowel syndrome (abdominal cramps and discomfort characterized by bloating and trapped wind and alternating bouts of diarrhea and constipation, often related to anxiety) (points 1, 55, 6, 48, 7, 8, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 45, 46 and dry cupping on 137).
- Chronic constipation (long term difficulty with opening bowels)(points 1, 55, 11, 12, 13, 28, 29, 30, 31).
- Diarrhea (dry cupping on 137, 138, 139, 140).
- Involuntary urination (bed wetting) (after the age of five: dry cupping on 137, 138, 139, 140, 142, 143, 125, 126).
- Depression, withdrawal, insomnia (inability to sleep), psychological conditions and nervousness (points 1, 55, 6, 11, 32 and below the knees.(
- Angiospasm and Arteriosclerosis (narrowing of the blood vessels due to muscular spasm or fatty deposits) (points 1, 55, 11) (cupping points are on the places of pain in addition to a teaspoon of pure, organic, raw, apple cider vinegar and honey every other day).
- Inflammation in the lining of the stomach (gastritis) (points 1, 55, 121).
- Excessive sleep (points 1, 55, 36) in addition to a teaspoon of pure, organic, raw, apple cider vinegar and honey every other day).
- Food allergies (one dry cup using a light suction directly on the umbilicus pit [belly button]).
- Sores, leg and thigh abscesses (pus filled spots) and itching of iliac fossae (itching in hip area) (points 1, 55, 129, 120).
Important Note: The following points are arranged according to their importance. Sometimes, the cupping therapist does not need to use all of the points and sometimes he/she has to use them all depending on the condition of the disease.
- Heart disease (points 1, 55, 19, 119, 7, 8, 46, 46, 47, 133, 134).
- Diabetes (points 1, 55, 6, 7, 8, 22, 23, 24, 25, 120, 49) note: the area of cupping should be applied with black seed oil or honey for 3 days.
- Liver and gall bladder disease (points 1, 55, 6, 48, 41, 42, 46, 51, 122, 123, 124 and 5 cups on the right, outer leg).
- Varicose veins (enlarged, unsightly superficial veins) on the legs(points 1, 55, 28, 29, 30, 31, 132 and around the veins but NOT over the veins).
- Varicocele (enlarged unsightly veins on scrotum of male) (points 1, 55, 6, 11, 12, 13, 28, 29, 30, 31, 125, 126).
- Elephantiasis (swollen leg due to blockage of lymph channels)note: the patient should rest for 2 days before cupping. He/She should also raise his/her affected leg up and then place it in warm water for two hours prior to cupping (points 1, 55, 11, 12, 13, 120, 49, 121 and around the affected leg from the top of the leg to the bottom in addition to 125, 126, 53, 54).
- Skin diseases (points 1, 55, 49, 120, 129, 6, 7, 8, 11 and cupping on the affected areas).
- Overweight (points 1, 55, 9, 10, 120, 49 and areas of desired weight loss), daily massage cupping over area of desired weight loss.
- Underweight (points 1, 55, 121).
- Cellulite daily massage cupping over affected area.
- Infertility (points 1, 55, 6, 11, 12, 13, 120, 49, 125, 126, 143, 41, 42( .
- Thyroid disease (points 1, 55, 41, 42).
- Headaches (points 1, 55, 2, 3) and you may replace points 2, 3 with 43, 44. If it is caused by eye strain add 104, 105 and 36. If it is caused bynasal sinuses add 102, 103 and 114. If it is caused by high blood pressure add 11, 101 and 32. If it is caused by constipation add 28, 29, 30 and 31. If it is caused by a cold add 120, 4 and 5. If it is caused by a stomach ache add 7, 8. If it is caused by the kidneys add 9, 10. If it is caused by menstruation for women add 11, 12 and 13. If it is caused by gall bladder and liver add 6, 48. If it is caused by the spine column perform cupping on the spine. If it is caused by tension add 6, 11 and 32. If it is caused by anemia add 120, 49 and take one teaspoon of black honey (molasses) with a quarter of a teaspoon of ground fenugreek and 7 ground black seeds daily. If the headache is due totumors in the brain, cupping should be performed on the area of pain on the head).
- Migraine (severe headache associated with nausea and visual disturbance) (points 1, 55, 2, 3, 106 and area of pain).
- Diseases of the eyes (retina, eye disorder, blurred vision, atrophy of the eye nerves, glaucoma (Blue Water), cataract (White Water) and weak eye, eye inflammation and secretion of tears and eye sensitivity (points 1, 55, 36, 101, 104 , 105, 9, 10, 34, 35, above the eyebrows and on the hair line above the forehead).
- Tonsils, throat, gums, teeth, and the middle ear problems (dizziness, nausea and ringing in ears) (points 1, 55, 20, 21, 41, 42, 120, 49, 114, 43, 44).
- Weakness of hearing and inflammation of hearing nerve, tinnitus (ringing sensation in ears) (points 1, 55, 20, 21, 37, 38 and behind the ear).
- Nasal sinuses (points 1, 55, 102, 103, 108, 109, 36, 14 and on the hair line).
- Neuritis (inflammation) of the fifth and seventh nerves (points 1, 55, 110, 111, 112, 113, 114 and on the affected area).
- To stimulate the system of perception (encourage awareness)(points 1, 55, 2, 3, 32).
- Clinical Memory Loss (important: if point 39 is cupped unnecessarily it may cause damage to the memory. Also its unnecessary repetition may increase memory loss (point 39 occipital prominence).
- Mute (unable to speak) (points 1, 55, 36, 33, 107, 114( .
- To help stop smoking (points 1, 55, 106, 11, 32( .
- Convulsion (fits) (points 1, 55, 101, 36, 32, 107 on both sides, 114, 11, 12, 13).
- For the treatment of mental retardation (points 1, 55, (101 only once) 36, 32, 2, 3, 120, 49, 11, 12, 13( .
- Atrophy (loss) of brain cells (oxygen deficiency) (points 1, 55, 101, 36, 32, 34, 35, 11 and perform cupping on the joints, muscles and neck, 43 and 44 on the front and back. Eat honey and royal jelly. Perform massage cupping daily).
Group (E) Gynecological
Important warning: pregnant women should avoid cupping during pregnancy except if they are over-due and wish to go into labour. In this case, they should have dry and massage cupping between the knee and ankle on both legs. Cupping a pregnant woman may cause miscarriage.
- Hemorrhage (vaginal bleeding) (points 1, 55, (3 dry cups under each breast daily until bleeding ceases).
- Amenorrhea (absence of periods) (points 1, 55, 129, (131 from the outside), 135, 136 (.
- Brownish Secretion 3 dry cups under each breast daily until secretion ceases (points 1, 55, 120, 49, 11, 12, 13 and 143). If secretion has no smell, no colour or itching, perform cupping on (points 1, 55, 9, 10, 41, 42, 11, 12, 13, 143).
- Menstruation (period) problems (points 1, 55 (dry cupping on 125, 126, 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143).
- To stimulate the ovaries (points 1, 55, 11, (dry cupping on 125, 126).
- Pain after a uterus (womb) operation, menstrual (period) pain, the problems of ligation of the fallopian tube (tube being tied/blocked), milk existence in the breast without being pregnant and menopausal symptoms (depression, nervousness, psychological conditions, acute uterus) (points 1, 55, 6, 48, 11, 12, 13, 120, 49) (Dry Cupping on 125, 126). To regulate the menses, it is preferred to perform cupping on the second day of the menses.
Cupping places on the back
1, the shoulder, the seventh vertebra (bone of spine) of the neck.
2 & 3, the area between the ears, the back of the head where hair grows or on the sides of the neck.
4 & 5, the air door between the two ribs upwards in the branching of the tracheae (main windpipe) and the bronchus (smaller windpipe).
6, the gall bladder at the peripheral of the right rib toward the spine.
7 & 8, on the stomach place at the middle of the back opposite to the stomach on the spinal sides.
9 & 10, the kidney centre under 7 & 8 on the middle of the back.
11, lumbar vertebrae – a prominent bone at the lower back of the vertebra column.
12 & 13, on the sides of 11, slightly upward, 5cm away from the spine.
14, 15, 16 & 17, the colon, almost on the colon corners from the back and18 of the middle of the spine.
19, the heart, opposite to the heart from the back and almost on the left rib side.
20 & 21, tonsils triangle that lies in the area between the neck and the shoulder with a slight bending to the back.
22 & 23, above the pancreas gland under the rib end.
24 & 25, at the beginning of the lower half of the back.
26 & 27, bilaterally at the sides of the iliac bone.
28, 29, 30 & 31, at the upper part of the buttocks.
32, on the middle of the head.
33, on the right part of the hair near the forehead or the hair line.
34 & 35, the right and left part of the brain (at the temporal sides of the brain) as well as the occipital bone.
36, the cerebellum (occipital) prominent bone on the head.
37 & 38, nearly 3cm above the ears.
39, prominent occipital bone, the deep area at the back of the head where cupping is prohibited, except in necessary cases.
40, in the middle of the back of the neck.
41 & 42, on the back of the head to the right and the left.
43 & 44, the sides of the neck.
45 & 46, nearly 3cm above the air trachea (4-5).
47, on the left shoulder in addition to the heart.
48, on the right rib from upward, complementary to the gall bladder knot.
49, the immunity area from the back, between the two scapulae (shoulder blades).
50, 6cm slightly above 8, for stomach ulcers.
51 & 52, the two thigh bones (femur), from both sides.
53 & 54, the inner part of the knee from the back.
55, almost 3cm under the shoulder.
Cupping places on the face and abdomen
101, the forehead on the place of worship in praying and it is better not to repeat it.
102 & 103, above the eyebrows from the inner part of the nasal sinuses.
104 & 105, on both sides of the brows and slightly upward for headaches and sight.
106, almost 6cm above the left ear to help give up smoking.
107, nearly 4cm above the cheeks to assist in speech.
108 & 109, on the sides of the nose for nasal sinuses.
110, under the ear from the right and left.
111, 112 & 113, near the eye and the cheek and near the lip to treat the fifth and sixth nerve.
114, under the chin and it has many benefits.
115 & 116, under the ends of the clavicle (collar bone) from the outside and on the shoulders.
117 & 118, under the clavicle (collar bone) from the inside, on the chest.
119, the heart, under the middle of the left clavicle (collar bone) using four fingers of the patient himself.
120, sternum bone (breastplate), in the middle of the chest.
121, first part of the stomach directly under the chest bone.
122, 123 & 124, above the liver, right of the belly.
125 & 126, between the belly and the thigh near the pubic hair area for involuntary urination, infertility…etc.
127 & 128, on the inner part of the thighs.
129, on the back of the feet to the right.
130, on the sides of the heel from inside and outside for edema.
131, above the heel bone nearly 5cm from the outside.
133, almost 2cm above the stomach mouth and near the end of the chest bone.
134, under the left breast.
135 & 136, 5cm away from the breast nipple from the inside for the lungs.
137, 138, 139 & 140, above, right, left and under the umbilicus (belly button).
141, & 142, Right and left of 140.
143, above the bladder.
Alahmdulilah I have found head points and another site
You can buy the necessary cups on line , like this set that comes with a pump.
Tradtionally hijama is done by using a flame to create a vacuum in glass cups.